Monday, March 7, 2011

Reading log 5

As I read my book today, what i pictured more vividly than anything else, was a masterfully crafted figurine of a ferocious dragon with precious gems suited for eyes, shedding its inanimate skin and coming to life. In a sense, the book is like film or a play because of its vast array of characters. Out of all of them, I would have liked to have known Mr. Sunshine, an original Greek who plays at being fate in the novel by writing the stories of the lives of people in the world. I enjoy writing, and because many of the characters in the book are storytellers, I can connect with them on some level. The book is a comic type of fantasy and so isn’t very realistic in regard to the ability of bending ones will for convenience. I cannot say I’ve shared any of the characters experiences, nor can I relate to any of the events that occur in the story. The author uses imagery to enhance the plentiful visions the book contains, and to enhance the imagery, the author utilizes simile and metaphor on more than one occasion. The passage I read today is similar to a sort of thing the same author would write in another one of his books that I’ve read. In the next section I read I think the protagonist will most likely feel despair at the departure of another character in the story. If I could jump into the story right now I would probably hang out in the Tolkien fraternity house and check out the many mysterious wonders the house has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Gio

    Wasn't sue which book you were reading - Similarian?

    Good detailed explanation of literary features employed that enhance the writing - IB wants the writer to show detailed effects of these literary features on you as a reader- ie. the imagery used was highly effective / ineffective because it was contrasted well with /poorly with that aided to the plot development etc.

    Keep up the good work !!!

    9/10

    Mr. Russell

    ReplyDelete